Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Kai-lan says "Ni Hao" to Cara

Ni Hao, Friends and Followers!  :D

This cake features another one of our Nickelodeon favorites. During the same day that Leilani's Luau cake was due, I also had an order for a small cake from my sister, Cherlyn Mae Farol.  Her goddaughter, Cara was turning two years old and was having a Ni Hao, Kai-lan themed party. Cherlyn only ordered a small cake to serve as a topper, but along with the cake, they were also serving other small dessert treats like cupcakes and cake pops from The Perfect Treats. Cherlyn automatically knew I'd be a perfect candidate to make this cake especially after seeing this picture of me...  :)


At first I thought about doing a sculpted, dimensional cake of Kai-lan's head, but I thought about the cake cutting....I didn't like the idea of cutting into Kai-lan's head, and I didn't think 2 year-old Cara would've been too happy either :/ So instead I found an image of Kai-lan that I liked and replicated it to fit on an 8x8 inch square cake.  I also did a little bit of personalizing with the Ni Hao, Kai-lan logo which I think added that special touch.  
I first covered the square cake with a light blue fondant to act as my blank canvas.  To work on the art, I printed out the Kai-lan images I found to use as a template....I laid them over my rolled fondant and with a corsage pin I outlined the main shapes (the same technique that's used to carve pictures into pumpkins). I then tinted some fondant to go with the various colors. I started on the flesh tones as the base, then worked my way to her hair, clothing, flowers, and eyes. 
This was my first time using this technique, but it was quite simple. The hardest part was probably getting the colors to come out just right. It was like piecing together a little puzzle. What really made each piece come together and POP was the black icing outline and the meticulous details...it's what made Kail-lan come to life.
 Now all that was left was to box it and get it ready for delivery...


I was very pleased with how this cake came out and I think Kai-lan is the cutest thing! Turns out, the size I made this cake fit perfectly to top off the cupcake stand. Here are a couple photos of the party that I borrowed from Cherlyn...
I'd like to thank Cherlyn again for allowing me to make Cara's special cake! And don't forget to check out The Perfect Treat's website... super cute little treats for your next party [www.theperfecttreats.com]. Until next time...thanks for stopping by.


~Abs of Cakes~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...