Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hello Kitty says Happy Flag Day!

Flag Day week is usually a very eventful one! This week alone there's the NBA Finals, start of Summer Vacay for most students, my birthday ;), Graduations, Father's Day, my Damn Good Friends' Wedding (Yay Bryleen!), and even Hura Tahiti, a Tahitian Dance Competition in Fullerton. Celebrations galore! A time of milestones that allows us to reflect on our successes. Busy FUN!

This Thursday, June 16 is a big day for a special little girl, Brooklynn Rhayne Lodevico! She is graduating from the 5th Grade, but Brooklynn is not your average 5th Grader...as President of Birney Elementary School in Long Beach she will be giving a speech in front of her fellow classmates, faculty, and family. At the tender age of 10 years old, Brooklynn continues to inspire Me at my ripe age of 29. I am proud to call her my niece and goddaughter. This post is dedicated to her. 

Brooklynn Rhayne turned a decade old on December 19, 2010. To celebrate, she had a Hello Kitty Nerd Party! How cool is that? 

There's nothing that screams "NERD" more than nerdy things, like books, lunch pails, and eyeglasses. So that's what I made. I used this Hello Kitty Lunch Pail as my model.
Per Brooklynn's request I made an Oreo cake, but instead of Oreos, I used Joe-Joes from Trader Joes...I love that they use real vanilla beans in their center filling which would just add to the flavor.
 The batter was poured into square and rectangle pans since most of the forms were that shape. 
A couple of cake boards were measured out and cut to size and stack the cakes. I filled each layer with a Joe Joe frosting, then covered the cakes in buttercream before covering them in fondant. I worked on the lunch pail and books simultaneously.
The beginnings of some plaid designs.
Stacked books start to take shape.
I drew Hello Kitty's face on some wax paper to use as a template.
After the main components were completed, I just needed to stack the lunch pail and add the rest of the details that make the design pop.
The rest of the plaid detail punched out with yellow.
The red apple was my favorite little detail to this cake. Like the Zombie Hello Kitty Cake, I used spaghetti sticks colored Black for Kitty's whiskers.
Luckily the delivery was only a few blocks away, but it was on a very rainy day! I guess Brooklynn Rhayne was an appropriate name for her. Here are some fun photos from her party.

BK 4 President!
Brooklynn with some of her NERD Friends.
DJ BK on the 1s and 2s.
Brooklynn with sister Freedom.
Make a Wish...

Congratulations BK! Thank you for being an inspiration! I love you very much and you make me one proud Ninang. Keep up the good work kid!


~Abs of Cakes~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...