Friday, December 24, 2010

A Christmas cake for the Boys & Girls Club

Only a couple more hours until Santa and his reindeer jingle their bells for Christmas (here in LA at least). In honor of December 25th, I'm watching This Christmas as I write this post :) This week, I was asked to make a Christmas Cake for the Boys & Girl's Club of the South Bay.  A special thanks goes to Louella De Los Angeles and Ron Lodevico Jr. for coming to me for this cake request.  Here's what I came up with...
When I was asked to make a Christmas Cake, I instantly thought about doing a "Gingerbread House" made entirely out of cake....although there was nothing Ginger about it. Believe it or not, I've never made a Gingerbread House before, so this was is the closest I have ever come to making one.  I started with stacking the cakes and carving out the rooftop before I added the crumb coating.
 I even added a chimney so that Santa could climb down from it :)
For the "Gingerbread" covering, I used modeling chocolate...the same technique that I used in the Wine in a Box Cake. I used red and black fondant to cover the chimney.
Now that the basic form of the house was completed, all I needed to do was add the rest of the Gingerbread House details to make this a very Merry Christmas. I couldn't forget to include the Boys & Girls Club of the South Bay logo. To create it, I used a stencil and blue food coloring to paint the hands. I used black icing to pipe the words. It was the perfect size to place on the roof of the house. 
Like your typical gingerbread house, I used candies to help decorate and bring the house to life.  In particular I used red and green candy coated chocolates for the rooftop and colorful sugared spice drops as "Xmas lights".  I rolled some fondant for the windows and door. White icing was used to create the icicles on the eaves and the snow along the windowpanes.
Lastly, I added a couple snowmen, a Christmas tree, and a special greeting to the Staff of the Boys & Girls Clubs.  
They had their celebration at the Lucky Strike Bowling Alley in Torrance.  I also made some festive red velvet cupcakes to surround the house. Louella added some Hershey's Kisses to complete the cake table. What a wonderful way to celebrate the spirit of the Holidays.
I'd like to wish you all Feliz Navidad, Maligayang Pasko, Frohe Weihnachten, Joyeux Noel, Mele Kalikimaka...MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your loved ones! Thank you for your continued support and once again for stopping by...

GO LAKERS!!!!!
~Abs of Cakes~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...