Friday, September 20, 2013

the very hungry mommy-to-be

Hello again! Since the last time I've posted, I've fulfilled my lifelong dream...I attended and finished Pastry School! The International Culinary School in New York City to be exact. And I can tell you it was well worth the wait and every nickel I spent. I absolutely LOVED everything about it. I actually wish the curriculum was longer. Our school load was heavy and demanding and fast paced, but I welcomed every challenge presented to us. I was a sponge learning everything I could from my Chef Instructors, who by the way are top notch! Our class consisted of 13 students from all over the world, where no two people were from the same place. Attending the ICC cemented my passion for this craft and I realize that I've found my calling as a Cake Artist. This summer I earned a Certificate in Cake Techniques and Design. I have so much to share with you...too much to be summed up in one blog post, so let's start with this baby shower cake.

I'm sure you know someone who is either pregnant, or has recently given birth...'tis the season, apparently.  There must be something in the water. Seems like most of the cake requests I've been getting recently are for baby showers (many are pink...Girl Power!). In school, we were given a test to design a special occasion cake. As a class we voted on the type of occasion. Baby Shower prevailed. Here's what I came up with...


Every cake we designed in class required us to draw a detailed sketch in color and labeled with what each piece would be. This is the same process I go through with my clients for big cake orders. In a way, this becomes part of our contract. It's a blueprint for beginning on an order. From it, I am able to create a realistic itinerary and manage my time accordingly. 



I guess you can call this the "baby shower design for no one" cake. But if you like it, I can recreate it for your Very Hungry Caterpillar themed shower. As you can see, I was inspired by Eric Carle's beloved children's book. I wanted my design to be unisex and devoid of any cliche baby pinks or baby blues. 


This caterpillar baby was made of molded rice krispy treat and colored fondant.
These foods were made using modelling chocolate cutouts painted with colored cocoa butter.
Black royal icing freehand piped on a fondant covered board.
Here are a few other baby shower cakes designed for no one by some fellow classmates.
Creating all the little foods from the book were especially fun. Usually, my client would provide me with a direction for design, but the idea of a hungry anything at a culinary school made this theme that much more appropriate and easily became my inspiration. Stay tuned for more of my inspired cake creations that I learned in school. I promise you they are just as fun. Thanks for stopping by.

~Abs of Cakes~ 

P.S. I'll be back in California in mid-October and I am currently taking cake orders for your special celebration. Please feel free to contact me for all your cake needs. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...