Wednesday, March 10, 2010

.my break from cake.

For lent this year, I gave up rice.  Being Filipino, it's not an easy thing to do, especially since I like to cook saucy Filipino dishes that just isn't the same without it.  I've been eating more pasta dishes, sandwiches, naan bread, and tortillas.  What I'm learning so far is there is NO substitute for the white starchy carbohydrate. I realize how much I really do love and appreciate that staple in my diet.  I've also dreamed about it and woke up wanting to eat some!! But this is what lent is all about right?? self discipline and restraint from temptation.  I have about 4 more weeks to go...

Anyways, last week in between cake decorating, I prepared dinner.  For some reason, on this Tuesday evening, I got carried away and cooked up a feast.  I had a whole Costco size pack of tilapia fillets in my freezer (around 8 total).  I felt like once I defrosted it, I had to cook it...ALL OF IT. So I decided to prepare it 2 ways, fried and baked...don't know if there's a real name for the baked one.  I've never made it like that before.  I kinda just added ingredients that I thought would taste good together, and guess what?? It was DELICIOUS! I was so impressed with myself that I took a picture of it.  It was pretty simple really...here's what I added to the fillets:  heavy cream, garlic, juice from a whole lemon, lemon pepper, sea salt, lemon slices, and rosemary.  Can't you just imagine eating that on top of a nice hot bed of rice??? well, too bad I couldn't :( but luckily I had potatoes, so I mashed some up to eat with it.  


One of my cake recipes calls for buttermilk.  After making that cake, I had leftover buttermilk that was approaching its expiration date.  There was also a whole package of cut okra in my freezer.   So rather than throw out the buttermilk, I used it to make fried okra.  I dredged the okra in the buttermilk then rolled them in corn meal, fried, and voila...I had fried okra. 


For dessert, I had spumoni ice cream. Great way to end my dinner....then back to cake decorating.  Just an update from the Lakers cupcakes...they were a SUCCESS!! Word got out and one of my sorority sisters asked me to make a cake for her son's 2nd birthday.  They're having a sports themed party and asked to include Yo Gabba Gabba and Disney Friends characters in the design.  This will probably be the most fun, yet most challenging cake because I really need to get those characters just right.  I've already started sketching some ideas, so stay posted for that cake blog.  Thanks for stopping by.

~Abs of Cakes~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...